Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Wine Iconoclast; Episode #1

Welcome readers of the Salem Statesman Journal!

Yes, it's me, your erstwhile wine writer, Robert Mayfield. Where'd I go? Well, the newspaper industry being what it is (in a state of ruin), combined with the downward spiraling economy, I got the ax.

I mean, could you afford to pay me an extravagant amount of money (hahaha), week after week, and for what? A couple wine recommendations. And no new ads coming in.

So what does a wine writer do once he's got the ax? Sharpen his own ax.

Let's begin the journey with a simple, straight-forward list of recommendations. As today is New Year's Eve (2008 -just for posterity), when the Ball drops in Times Square tonight, we'll be sipping some bubbly. Which one?

Well, my first choice is Bollinger. But you know what? When Bolly is on sale for $65 (a bottle!), I think it's time to give it a pass. Especially since I got kids to feed and clothe, and now without that extra twenty-five pennies a week coming in, I need to economize.

Our House Bubbly is Segura Viudas, a plenty nice little Spanish Cava, widely available, and well under $10. I'm not embarrassed to serve it, but frankly, when midnight hits tonight, I want something special (that is, if I'm still awake).

A little bit up the ladder price-wise, is Gruet, a New Mexico bubbly. There's a nice Brut, and a good rose, and both sell for around $14. These have enough heft and weight, that you at least feel like you've got something more than foam in your glass.

And back to Sigura Viudas, there is an upper-tier version, the one with the pewter-like base, and the Coat of Arms, that sells for around $20. It's dang good stuff.

Further on, comes the Argyle Brut. This one varies, not only in price, but in vintage, depending on where you are in the world. I think I've seen the 2003 on the market, but some places are still selling the 2001. Most are around $25, and always good.

One of my other favorite domestic bubblies, is the Roederer, Anderson Valley, which again sells for around $25. This is softer and more plush than many California sparklers. And consistently tasty.

On the other hand, I just got my last check from SSJ. Maybe I'll splurge on that Bollinger. Once I start thinking about it, I get a mighty strong urge for something great. And that's what Bollinger is.

No comments:

Post a Comment