Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bad News, Bad News

We're riding the dinosaurs right into the La Brea Tar Pits. I'm talking about newspapers. Today, The Oregonian announced it's reducing the number of comics it carries from 33 to 23. At the same time, Doonesbury is re-running the segment where Rick Redfern is downsized from his newspaper job, and starts a...check it out...blog! Does that sound familiar?

Right now, it takes me approximately 20 minutes, or a cup of coffee, to get through The Oregonian. I used to finish a whole pot before getting to the comics page. The paper's looking more and more like the wafer chip that is replacing it.

One of the few reasons I even keep the paper is because of the comics section. Now I might have to rethink my strategy. I have tried to sign up to Comics.com, but I keep getting that 'invalid username' thing, so I gave up.

Still and all, The Oregonian manages to run some interesting tidbits. Today there was a story about the legislature trying to make the marionberry the official state berry. But guess what? The blueberry and raspberry contingency got in a hissy fit, and not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings, the lawmakers backed off.

But the line that grabbed my attention came when, in its defense, one of the backers of the marionberry called it the 'Cabernet of berries.'

Cabernet? Hey, bonehead, you're in the Willamette Valley, where some 90% of all marionberries are grown. And we don't grow Cabernet in the Willamette Valley. The grape is Pinot Noir. Marionberry is the Pinot Noir of berries. See, I can get in a hissy fit, too.

So it looks like the future belongs to us loser bloggers. In fact, I'm taking it so serioulsy I've started another one. I may end up with a dozen blogs (somehow the Springsteen song '57 Channels and Nothing On' comes to mind).

I'm not sure I want to live in a world without Luann or Wizard of Id, but if I must, the least I can do is blog about it.

1 comment:

  1. robert, we met years ago. how do i get a hold of you? i have a wine for you to try.

    ReplyDelete