Saturday, April 18, 2009

Fill in the Blancs

A peek inside my recycling bin tells me I’ve been tasting a lot of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc lately.

And that’s not a bad thing. Wonderfully lean, tart and tasty, these wines remain among the best values on the market. I first got major exposure to them in 1999 when I attended VinExpo in Bordeaux. Now, I’d had a few New Zealand Sauv Blancs prior to that, here and there, at a restaurant, or tastings, but at VinExpo I had the chance to taste back-to-back from about 15 different producers in one fell swoop. Very eye opening.

What struck me then was how consistent the wines were, both in quality and flavors. Sure, there were identifying characteristics, as some were leaner, brighter, fruitier, while others were bigger, flashier, more substantial, but certain elements, like grapefruit, and a lemony zing, were all present and accounted for.

Having actually spent quality time in New Zealand since then, sampling countless examples of Sauv Blanc, I’ll stand by that opinion –only to note that, yes, you can find some dogs, bottom-feeders, that don’t make their way across the equator.

One odd note, even taking into account the exchange rate, we typically paid as much if not more in New Zealand as we would for the same wines here in the states. I was told the reason is that the government taxes the bejeebers out of wine in-country, but then gives all sorts of incentives to export them.

A good example is Monkey Bay, which you can generally get on sale for under $10 in the states. In New Zealand we paid 16 or 17 New Zealand dollars, or about $12 U.S. In other words, save the air fare and buy your Sauv Blanc here.

A classic is the Nobilo, 2008 Regional Collection Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, $9. This is in the lean, bright, refreshing category. And a great price (Freddies).

The Fire Road, 2008 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, $10, is a new one to me. I found it to be on the earthy, grassy side, more like a Loire Sauv Blanc. Which is to say, quite good, and a perfect food wine.

And don’t forget Monkey Bay. Somehow my last bottle got recycled already, but I always enjoy it.

Christian Mom Runs 7k/50mins
How a Christian Mom runs 3k a week to get in shape for the big race…
BethsRunny.com

“My Wrinkles Are Gone”
He left with a young blonde, the old coot...
CougarsRUs.com

1 Fat Stomach Rule Works
I added 47 pounds of bulky fat just in time for the play-offs…
callforpizza.com

No comments:

Post a Comment