Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Backblog

E-mail, Facebook, blogging, Kindling, texting, and now Twittering –I have all the e-neurological diseases.

And why? Hey, dude, I’m networking (the host disease for which all these other things are merely symptoms). But what the heck am I ‘networking’? Myself? My wine writing? The Ridgefield Farmers Market? All the above.

I text people to get them to my tweets, which draws them to Facebook, so that they’ll find my blog, where they’ll stumble upon my Kindle (‘A Ruminant on Spudders Crest; Part I’), which they’ll buy, and I’ll become rich and famous, and every newspaper editor in the country will clamor for me to return as wine columnist. But I’ll tell them, nah, I’d rather run the farmers market.

Where I can tell people about this, my blog.

And I know, as some have pointed out this has lain dormant for about two months. I’ve got my excuses –Amsterdam, Bruges, Brussels, Paris, returning to a wildly overgrown vineyard, moving from Bellwood Heights back to Spudders Crest, unpacking, starting a farmers market, running the kids to piano, clarinet, tennis, soccer, basketball, volleyball, bottling a lovely viognier, and a somewhat less lovely Rosato Negra- phew!

Forget all that. I’m back. So, both feet, let’s jump in. Starting with Pinot Gris, a wonderful summertime wine, and specifically the Kramer Vineyards, 2007 Oregon Pinot Gris, $15. Apropos of the vintage, this is a lean, almost minerally version, with pretty peachy flavors and just a touch of grassiness. In fact, close your eyes and you might imagine a Sauvignon Blanc (hey, Trudy, ever thought of doing a Sauv B?). Very refreshing, and a nice food wine, with say, shellfish, or –how about vineyard designated dolmas.

Next up, from King Estate, Next. Yup, Next is the Washington label from the Eugene area winery, and the Next, 2008 Washington Riesling, $12, is the perfect expression of Washington fruit. It’s a rich and succulent wine, with floral and lemony aromas, and flavors of lime, lemon, and a note of apricot, with justajustajusta hint of RS (that is, residual sugar). Miss the acidity? Me too, but it’s sure a luscious wine.

And now, back to Pinot Gris, and its finest expression; Alsace. Don’t get me wrong, I love Oregon Pinot Gris, and when I’m not in a grumpy mood you might even catch me saying something nice about Italian Pinot Grigio. But frankly, Alsace is where it’s at.

Witness the superb Lucien Albrecht, 2008 Cuvee Romanus Pinot Gris, $19. The rich, viscous texture alone conjures up visions of the vine carpeted hills of Alsace. Bursting with flavors of pear, apple, brown spice, with lingering notes of citrus in the background, this comes on strong, and yet there is finesse, a subtlety about it. How do dey do dat? O, forty-year old vines might help.

Extra bonus wine: Lucien Albrecht, NV Brut Blanc de Blancs Cremant d’Alsace, $20. If I could afford it (go Kindle, go!), this would become our house bubbly. Furious bubble action, fine, creamy texture (this is a cremant?!), lovely apple aromas and flavors. De Wine is Divine.

Lucien Albrecht rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment