Wednesday, September 30, 2009

No Paycheck, No Wine

Despite what Bernanke says, we’re still in a recession, folks. Lookit me, still out of work. Soup-line Mayfield, they call me.

Yes, us wine writers have been forced to scavenge among the blogger’s discount racks, relying on our feral wits, our savage cunning, and slender pocketbooks. That’s why I go shopping at Whole Paycheck. Ha, ha, no really, even the most pricey of stores has some bargains to offer.

Observe the Cameron, 2008 Cameroni Delle Colline Rosse Giovanni Vigna Pinot Bianco, $10, a delicious, refreshing, crisp white wine. I’m not a betting man, but I could swear I taste (and smell!) some Muscat in here. Okay, actually I’m cheating, I happen to know that in previous years, John Paul has put a small percentage of Muscat in his Pinot Bianco to bring up the flavors, and tweak the aromas. We’ll assume that’s the case here. And at $10? Throw all the Muscat you want in it.

Patty Green is doing the Bernanke Shuffle as well, releasing the Dollar Bills Only, 2008 Oregon Sauvignon Blanc, $10. This puppy’s got plenty of SOB tang, acidity, but weirdly, it’s also a fairly rich wine, body-wise. Flavors are a bit muddled, some citrus, melon, pear, and, hey, it may sound like I’m dissing the wine, but no way. Very tasty, just not classic (Loire, NZ) Sauv B., and certainly without the aggressive grassiness of Willamette Valley fruit. In fact, note the ‘Oregon’ designation, maybe the grapes come from somewhere warmer. Like Roseburg? Applegate? Could be.

All well and good, Monsieur Blog Dawg, you say, but what about red wine? What about Pinot Noir, eh? Well, hang in there, Pierre, or should I say Gunther, and check out the Two Worlds, NV Bi-Continental Pinot Noir, $15. Germany’s Dr. Loosen and Oregon’s J. Christopher got together for this mash-up.

Typically, I would say, a German Pinot Noir is going to be fairly lean and spicy, while Oregon Pinot Noir is more opulent, lush. What happens when you slam the two together?

Well, in this case the result is a lean, spicy, wine with bright acidity. My first guess was, it’s dominated by German fruit. I don’t get the luscious cherry, plum flavors of Oregon. And that’s fine. If I’m sitting on Frankfurt’s Romer Platz, this is a perfectly representative Pinot. Downtown McMinnville? Not so much.

It was only after this consideration that I examined the label and found the blend is 90% German, 10% Oregon. Okay, that explains that.

Now excuse me, while I go dumpster diving for some Bratwursts to match with this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment