Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Smooth Sailing

Scrolling down this blog line, I can’t help but notice I recommend an inordinate number of French wines. What’s up with that? Well, we’ll concede Italy to Matt Kramer (he’s back!), I’ll take France.

But really and truly, can’t we find some decent local wines? Mais oui! And just to reel in some of my old Salem Statesman Journal readers, how about a couple wines from around the 45th parallel. First up a white, Terrapin Cellars, 2007 Oregon Pinot Gris, $13.

Intriguing little thing, in that it leans dangerously towards RS. Residual Sugar. Not talking dessert wine here, but definitely a bit of sweetness that ‘brings up’ the tropical fruit notes of Pinot Gris. Fairly rich, and with good acidity, it went wonderfully with a mild Kung Pao Chicken (‘mild’ because my Thai peppers had absolutely no kick to them –damn!).

While the wines are made at Eola Hills Winery, the fellow behind Terrapin is Salem area vineyard owner…yikes, his name just slipped right out of my head. Rick something. I should know, as in 2002, I bought pinot blanc from him for my amateur winemaking venture. I’ll think of it.

In the meantime, a red wine with some history. Many years ago there was a winery outside Salem, Silver Falls. I remember it well, because I used to be a jazz columnist, and this winery had summer jazz concerts. I wound up spending much of my time in the tasting room. It wasn’t long afterwards I tossed the jazz hat in favor of the wine writer’s toque.

Don’t blame Silver Falls for that, as they folded somewhere in the early 1990s. And now a resurrection, of sorts. I discovered the Silver Falls Vineyards, 2006 Oregon Pinot Noir, $16, by chance.

I happen to occasion the bar at Beaches in Vancouver, and a while back I was in the mood for Pinot Noir, and Yazmin, the bar keep, bade me try this. And it was good. Maybe suggested by the river outside Beaches' window, I found it smooth sailing. Hints of cherry and floral aromas, soft texture, light, straight-ahead fruit.

Yazmin then told me, it was on the list because one of the owners of Silver Falls is the sister of the owner/manager of Beaches. Happy coincidence.

Getting on the minimalist Silver Falls website, it appears as though this is indeed the old vineyard (thirty-year-old vines), but definitely new owners. This Pinot was made at Chateau Bianca.

We wish them well.

O, the name of that Terrapin guy, Rick…something or other. I’ll think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment